Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Your Netflix Bus Pass is about to Expire



Like most of you on the planet I've graduated from the prehistoric era of DVD rentals of brick and mortar safe houses, to the elegant yet less involved movie streaming and "snail mail" version of movie watching. I mean, let's face it, I'm a busy person just like you. I don't have time to drive, pick out movies, watch them AND return them. Jesus, I'm an American after all. I need me time. Knowing this is how most Americans choose to rent their movies the popular subscription service known as Netflix has chosen to redesign it's pricing policy. Continue reading to find out how not to get hosed...




In an article posted yesterday in the Techland section Time.com Doug Aamoth reported that Netflix would be raising the cost of it's services come this September. Come this fall, subscribers to the service will be required to pay an $8 fee for streaming as well as another $8 monthly for the ability to receive a hard disc through the mail. This poses a serious dilemma for next generation console owners. To pay or not to pay? If you're like me, you've gotten very comfortable with your $10 subscription fee. Since the birth of Netflix on the home console, the ability to receive both "snail mail" and direct queue movie watching at one low price has helped catapult Netflix into many a household. However, rising company costs have directly impacted the amount of money you'll be paying. Those of us that have already been using both services will be subject to the price jump this September should we continue our subscription unaltered. Everyone else who signs up for the service as of right now is subject to the double fee or singular service.

Couple the new $16 monthly fee with the fact that Netflix has recently lost a humongous contract with Sony/Starz resulting in a loss of hundreds of streaming movies and you have to wonder if the service is worth holding onto at all. Personally, I can't give you an answer either way as I myself haven't decided if I'm going pay for another ticket to ride or jump ship before I get charged by the movie police. The one thing I do know is that come September, I'd be a little more than mad had I not known I was getting charged an extra $8 bucks to watch more bad Kat Stevens specials, and for that, your welcome.

Source: Time.com :TECHLAND

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you how to keep from getting "hosed"... cancel your NetFlix account and give 'em the finger. Their "streaming library" sucks balls, they're 30 days behind RedBox and Blockbuster on many new releases and the 60% price hike is bullsh**! They've successfully penetrated, and saturated, the market. Android, iPhone, Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, 3DS, etc. can all stream their lackluster library... so why raise their rates? Because they're gettin' greedy. ***k YOU NetFlix... I'm out!

    ReplyDelete