Friday, June 10, 2011

El Shaddai - Ascension Of The Metatron: Hands on

Saying the name of Ignition Entertainments new game out loud may leave you feeling like your invoking some sort of Cthulhu type demon but that is the exact opposite of what is happening in El Sahaddai.  Continue reading after the break to see if El Shaddai can succeed in mixing religion and video games...


The first thing you should know about the upcoming PS3 and XBOX 360 title is that it's a 2D side-scroller. The second and more important thing you should know is that it's loosely (and I stress loosely) based on the biblical story of Enoch. In this game Enoch must locate seven fallen angels to prevent the great flood that will destroy mankind. Throughout the game you will find a host of biblical and angelic cameos, though I won't spoil those for you. I'll merely give you my hands on with the demo.

The version I loaded up was the build for the XBOX 360. After a dreamy title screen abundant in ambient sounds I jumped in to see what it was all about. A couple menu options later I decided to go with the easy setting (you only have easy and hard to choose from), as I wasn't playing for sport. Next up is the obligatory screen that has way too many button commands (seriously I don't know a single person who reads those.) As I skipped past all of the guides the last page did catch my attention. Apparently, when you lose all of your health in this game you can revive yourself by mashing rapidly pressing the action buttons. Don't be fooled though, the more you die, the faster you'll have to press those buttons to get a second wind.

Once the game loaded up I was treated to a visual spectacle. The game looks like a spiritual successor to Okami... only in HD. Although the background was bare, the hand-drawn style of the environment breathed with life. I couldn't help but notice how the clouds, trees, and leaves all moved with perfect fluidity. The level contained ominous music and wind effects that were also a perfect accent to the games visual style. Now, with Enoch at my controls I was ready to head out to save the world. On a side note, it's worth pointing out that our hero has long blonde hair and an outfit that looks like a throw back from Buck Rodgers and the 25th Century... except with a pair of really stylish jeans from Buckle underneath? Don't ask.

Although this game is a side scroller I found myself at first, running directly into the background which I though was a nice gameplay decision. Soon after a bit of running through the area I encountered my first pair of enemies. The enemies' look like something pulled straight from Killer7.  Once Enoch had dealt a few blows to one of them he gained the ability to steal his weapon and "purify" him with it. Pressing the left bumper throws the two characters on screen into a quick but visually appealing cut scene. Now that I have a weapon, battles become fast paced and frantic. Think Devil May Cry without all of the tedious buttons to memorize. Another interesting feature of the game is that all damage dealt to Enoch is shown onscreen by him losing armor pieces of his ensemble. As the game continues I find that the easiest way to finish off an enemy is through this process. Also, for some reason Enoch's weapon reminds me of a modified Klingon bat'leth. Don't ask.



Also like Killer 7 is the fact that the story unfolds a bit at a time leaving you wondering exactly who these character are and wanting to know what is transpiring in the background. Take for example, the character/boss that I encountered who looked like Old Snake from Metal Gear Solid 4, after a bit of dialogue he transformed into something with a giant eyeball. Yeah, I'd be laughing too if he hadn't beat my ass like that fat kid who body slammed his bully on YouTube. Thankfully, on my second attempt I made him the bully.

Don't get me wrong the combat flows very well and feels polished and the visual design is breathtaking in both terms of presentation and design, but this game isn't without its flaws. On more than one occasion I found my self at the receiving end of a "what the hell" moment when I died due to not noticing the ground was gone. Whether it was a design flaw or done on purpose by the designers of the game, the art style can captivate you, or trick you into making silly mistakes. For example, the use of negative space during some platforming sequences left me twitchy while I figured out exactly what was a pit and what wasn't. Still, I can't fault a platformer for being deceptive by design. Finally, after one last cut scene with what appeared to be a giant metal robot chicken angel monster (mind you, this cut scene was frozen while another character waltzed onto the screen for a minor monologue) the game faded into that "to be continued" screen that we all know too well. Afterward I sat there holding my controller asking myself questions like: Why did Ezekiel leave heaven, who was that little girl and what significance did those scrolls hold?

El Shaddai succeeds in its loose interpretation of religion, while following up with solid gameplay that works in every facet. If your looking for a game that feels familiar in controls but has more of a spiritual offering in the way of story telling then El Shaddai is your game. If you're more grounded in the current action titles of this generation then this might not be the title for you. If you'd like to have a go at it yourself, the demo is available on XBOX Live for download. The one thing I'm sure about is once it releases this summer, I'll be venturing into the universe of El Shaddai to find exactly how Enoch saves us all.

1 comment:

  1. to me the best game in my memory that incorporated religion as part of the storyline was Xenogears. It includes the principles and philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Jacques Lacan influence the plot. Additionally, the symbols, theological concepts, and devotional practices of several world religions are represented in fictionalized forms in the game. I think any game the even incorporates a smidge of religon should be in the form of an RPG... Made by SquareEnix

    ReplyDelete