Monday, June 20, 2011

The Call of Duty: Black Ops money train just keeps on rollin'



Ok guys I wouldn't even be writing this article if it weren't for the fact that there's an apparent division within the gaming community over the next batch of Call of Duty: Black Ops DLC. Apparently Treyarch and Activision are releasing one last multiplayer map pack to capitalize on the Black Ops money train before the monumental release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 finally puts the game to rest. Keep reading after the jump to see why you should or shouldn't be willing to fork over another $15.00 to the corporate video game machine.




As far as I'm concerned, I believe like most gamers that DLC is still in an awkward place by design. Do I love expanding the universe to which I have spent some twenty to forty hours being a part of? Usually, yes. Do I enjoy being having my digital wallet robbed at gunpoint while developers release digital content that should have been included on the disc? Absolutely not. With that in mind I'd like us all to take a moment to examine the current situation most of us find ourselves. To download or not to download?

Now, let me again restate that if I feel a segment of DLC helps to enrich my gaming experience, I have no problem paying developers for their effort in making new content for my game. In the instance of Call of Duty: Black Ops however, I can't help but feel like my piggy bank is the one getting silently attacked.

Yeah, more like First Strike on your wallet.


I'll first begin by cross-examining the First Strike map pack that hit the XBOX 360 on February first as a timed exclusive. This map pack (which came out almost 3 months after the games initial launch) gave players' four new multiplayer maps as well as one new zombie map. The maps included: Berlin Wall, Discovery, Kowloon, Stadium and the zombie map Ascension. Btw, whether or not a zombie map should be included or sold separately is an entirely different article so we won't get into that. Ok, so, respectively five maps; that's not bad but when I think about how Kowloon is based on a local directly taken from the games campaign it makes me wonder why it wasn't packed in three months prior and why I have to pay $15.00 for it. Hmmm... moving on.

The only thing escalating is Treyarch's bank account.


Next up, the Escalation map pack. This Black Ops add-on, which was released three months later on May third, also gave players another (wait for it...) five new maps. Again players were treated to the same downloadable formula. The recipe went as follows: Zoo, Convoy, Stockpile, Hotel, and another zombie map titled Call of the Dead. Ok, so five original maps. That's not too bad except for the fact that we're again being charged the high price of $15.00 for (roughly) five maps, which honestly isn't that great a deal, and in fact, actually kinda sucks.

Consider your bank account Annihilated. 


Finally, a mere two months later Treyarch is set to release its final batch of DLC for Black Ops; the Annihilation map pack. Can you guess how many maps will be bundled in this batch? Yep, five, it doesn't seem that Treyarch is deviating from the formula much does it? The new maps coming out are as follows: Hangar 18, Drive-in, Silo, Hazard as well as the zombie map Shangri-La. And again, you'll find yourself spending yet another $15.00 on maps for a game that just overcharged you two months ago for the very same experience.

So lets review, shall we? After buying the latest pack of DLC you'll have spent $45.00 on a game that only cost you $60.00 to begin with. Also, that sixty came with a full-length campaign, some already well built multiplayer maps, a solid zombies mode, a text adventure and an unlockable arcade game. I honestly can't arguably justify the value of these maps seeing how much more you got for $15.00 more when the game launched last year. This coupled with the fact that in five months most people will have already abandoned and forgotten all about Black Ops to go play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3 and so on only helps to cement the fact that this is not a wise purchase. Perhaps when Microsoft decides to make it their XBL deal of the week then maybe. On the other hand, if you just HAVE to have the new maps because you NEED to hit your eleventh prestige before the new iteration of Call of Duty hits store shelves then by all means enjoy the new trailer to the fullest because come November even you won't remember you bought these maps.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you have to say but I have to say that I and maybe others like Black Ops the way you like Gears. So it can kind of go both ways. I totally agree with the third map pack coming out so quick being for money. I almost feel it so they have the extra cash to finish the Elite and MW3. I can't bitch too much though because I will be buying it all. I'm a COD whore :(

    ReplyDelete